It is pretty common for students to get anxious about exams due to the immense competition. This is true for both the students of top schools in the cities as well as for students of other institutes. But some of them get so anxious that they fail to work normally, get sleepless nights and patchy sleep, cold sweats, short temper or irritability, comfort eating or poor appetite, nausea, butterflies in the stomach, even some get dizziness and faint and all these things affect their performance on exam negatively. Though extreme test anxiety is actually rare, but this can be a big issue sometimes. But being aware of the main causes of anxiety can be helpful to cut the effect. Besides, addressing anxiety can also be a big success strategy for all the students.
So, to help you out, this article describes the ways to deal with anxiety.
- First and foremost, having somebody to talk about the students work can actually be helpful. Support from the tutors, parents or study buddies can help the kids to share their worries while keeping things in perspective. So, if you find that your kid is facing exam anxiety, talk to the teachers at school immediately.
- Having good sleep is important to improve concentration and thinking. The teenagers need at least 8-10 hours sleep a day. So, allow your kids to wind down for least 30 minutes or so between studying, using computer, watching TV and going to bed to help them to get goodnight sleep. Cramming all the night before exams is a completely bad idea. Having a good sleep will benefit your kid a lot more than several hours of panicky last-minute study.
- Having a balanced diet is highly important for maintaining the kids health and this also help them to feel great during the exam time. In some cases, parents choose to feed their kids or teenagers different types of high sugar, high fat and high caffeine food items and drinks like chocolate, sweets, chips, burgers, cola etc., which make them irritable, hyperactive and moody.
- Help the children to revise by ensuring that they find it comfortable to study. Also help them to chalk out a revision schedule or you can even ask the school for one.
- It is also necessary for parents to be flexible enough during the exam time of kids. So, while your kid is studying or revising all the day, don’t ask him or her to clean the untidy bedroom or to do the household jobs, which are left undone. Rather stay calm and encourage your kid to study.
- Encourage exercise during exam to make sure that your kid remains active. Regular exercise helps to boost energy levels, relieves stress and clears mind. Apart from exercise, cycling, walking, swimming or playing football can also be effective.
- Communicate with your kids about the exam nerves. Make them understand that it is quite normal to feel anxious during exams and therefore this should be taken in a positive way. This will make them confident.